Images of East Tennessee

Pages

Albert Guinn Hope House (Hopecote)
John Fanz Staub designed this home at 1820 Melrose Avenue for his aunt, Emma Fanz Price Hope, in 1921. Completed in 1924, the home reflects Mrs. Hope's fondness for the cottage architecture of England's Cotswold District. The University of Tennessee purchased the home in 1980, and Staub oversaw its renovation just before his death in 1981. The building now houses the University's distinguished visitors.
Church Street Methodist Episcopal Church, South
When the Church Street Methodist Episcopal Church South building (constructed in 1875) was destroyed by fire in 1928, the structure shown replaced it. Although the new building stood at the corner of Henley and Main Streets, the congregation chose to retain "Church Street" in its name. The church's name was changed to Church Street United Methodist Church when the nationwide United Methodist Church was formed in 1968, and this structure continues to operate as a Methodist Church today.
Church Street Methodist Episcopal Church, South
When the Church Street Methodist Episcopal Church South building (constructed in 1875) was destroyed by fire in 1928, the structure shown replaced it. Although the new building stood at the corner of Henley and Main Streets, the congregation chose to retain "Church Street" in its name. The church's name was changed to Church Street United Methodist Church when the nationwide United Methodist Church was formed in 1968, and this structure continues to operate as a Methodist Church today.
Church Street Methodist Episcopal Church, South
This building is the second of the two Southern Methodist Episcopal Churches that stood on Church Street between 1836 and 1928. It was built in 1875 and burned down in 1928. After the fire, the congregation elected to build a new structure on the corner of Henley and Main Streets, which continues to operate today.
CSX Railroad Bridge
This bridge, which crosses the Tennessee River near the University of Tennessee campus, was built in the 1960s and is used by the commercial CSX railroad line.
CSX Railroad Bridge
This bridge, which crosses the Tennessee River near the University of Tennessee campus, was built in the 1960s and is used by the commercial CSX railroad line.
CSX Railroad Bridge
This bridge, which crosses the Tennessee River near the University of Tennessee campus, was built in the 1960s and is used by the commercial CSX railroad line.
Railroad Bridge
This bridge crosses the Tennessee River near Knoxville. This image was most likely taken while Schmitt was a student at the University of Tennessee.
Henson Hall
When Mrs. Martha C. Henson died in 1927, she left the University of Tennessee $200,000 to be used for the betterment of the school's female students. The money was used to build a women's dormitory, which opened in 1930 and was named Henson Hall in her honor. The building housed Air Cadet Training Program students from 1943 until June of 1944, but returned to housing women as soon as the program ended. It became an academic building in the late 1970s, and continues to serve in this capacity today.
Cherokee Bridge
This bridge, which crosses the Tennessee River in western Knoxville, was built in the late 1800s. It was condemned in about 1922 and later destroyed.
Interior of the Whittle Springs Hotel
The original Whittle Springs Hotel was built in about 1902 about three miles to the north of Knoxville. It advertised such conveniences as electric lights, baths, unexcelled cuisine, and both telephone and telegraph connections. This structure burned in 1919, and the second Whittle Springs Hotel was constructed on the same site. This building was razed in 1964.
Interior of an unidentified Knoxville home
This image shows the living room of an unidentified Knoxville home. The caption reads "Room at home 1899"

Pages