Images of East Tennessee
- College friends Wilbur Ellis and Harold Ernest opened Ellis and Ernest Drugstore near the University of Tennessee campus in 1926. For many years, E&E served as a popular gathering place for UT students as well as Knoxville residents and tourists. The drugstore was razed in the late 1960s in order to accommodate the Carolyn P. Brown University Center, but the establishment was commemorated with the Ellis and Ernest Friendship Walk.
- William Blount (who signed the US Constitution and served as the Governor of the Territory of the United States South of the Ohio River) and his wife Mary commissioned this home in 1792. In addition to its impressive size, the home boasted a number of features not commonly seen on the frontier, including hardwood floors and glass windows. A group of women led by Mary Boyce Temple led a campaign to preserve Blount Mansion in the early 1920s, and the house became a museum in 1925. It was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1965.
- In 1885, Charles McClung McGhee established the Lawson McGhee Library as a memorial to his daughter, May Lawson McGhee Williams. The original building on the corner of Gay and Vine was replaced by this white marble structure on the corner of Market and Commerce in 1917. It remained in use until 1971, when a new building was constructed.
- Built in 1812, this structure originally served as prominent Knoxvillian James Parks' private residence. The Knoxville Academy of Medicine purchased the building in 1949 and added a large addition (not shown) in 1968. The building is now listed on the National Register of Historic Places and further restoration is planned.