Images of East Tennessee
- The first Knox County Court House was designed by architect Drury P. Armstrong and constructed in 1842. It was replaced by a more modern building, built in the Queen Anne style, in 1885. Now called the old Knoxville Courthouse, this structure stands on approximately the site of the Federal barracks of James White's Fort. New wings were added to either side of the courthouse in 1919. Tennessee's first governor, John Sevier, and his wives, Sarah Hawkins and Catherine "Bonny Kate" Sherrill, are buried on the lawn.
- The original Whittle Springs Hotel (shown) was built in about 1902 about three miles to the north of Knoxville. It advertised such conveniences as electric lights, baths, unexcelled cuisine, and both telephone and telegraph connections. This structure burned in 1919, and the second Whittle Springs Hotel was constructed on the same site. This building was razed in 1964.