Blount County Historical and Architectural Inventory

Pages

John Oliver House
Architectural -- one and one-half story log house, single pen with half dovetail notches, built 1850s, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Federal; Current Use: Museum, Address: Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Cades Cove Primitive Baptist Church
Architectural and cultural history -- one room frame church with front and rear gables, front belfry, built in 1887 to replace earlier log church; cemetery, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Federal; Current Use: Museum, with occasional use as a church, Address: Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Cades Cove Methodist Church
Architectural and cultural history -- one room frame church with front and rear gables; two front doors and interior divider (women and children on left, men on right); built in 1902 by the minister, J. D. McCampbell, to replace earlier log structure, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Federal; Current Use: Museum, with occasional use as a church, Address: Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Elijah Oliver House
Architectural -- one and one-half story double pen log house with dogtrot separating front and rear pens; front pen has V notches, rear has half dovetail notches; front pen built in 1870s by Elijah Oliver; rear pen in the 1840s by the Herron family, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Federal; Current Use: Museum, Address: Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Jim Hatcher Barn
Architectural and agricultural history -- double pen log barn with saddle and V notches; built about 1930 by Jim Hatcher, a later owner of the Elijah Oliver property, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Federal; Current Use: Museum, Address: Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Smokehouse
Architectural -- pre1890 smokehouse relocated to site of Cable Mill by Park Service; log pen, front and rear gables, half dovetail notches, poplar logs; poplar log meat bench inside, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Federal; Current Use: Museum, Address: Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
John P. Cable Mill
Architectural and economic history -- frame grist mill powered by overshot water wheel, probably built and operated by John P. Cable in the 19th century; exterior of mill rebuilt by Park Service in 1951, wheel replaced several times, inner workings essent, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Federal; Current Use: Operating mill for display, Address: Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Henry Whitehead House
Architectural -- double pen log house; front pen built in 1895 by Henry Whitehead with sawn pine logs, half dovetail notches, brick chimney; rear pen built ca. 1873 by David Shields with hewn oak, poplar and pine logs, V notches, stone chimney; porch join, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Federal; Current Use: Museum, Address: Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
Preacher William H. Oliver or Carter Shields House
Architectural -- single pen log house, one and one- half story, built ca. 1876 of pine logs with dovetail notches; purchased in 1910 by Carter Shields, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Federal; Current Use: Museum, Address: Cades Cove, Great Smoky Mountains National Park, TN
C. L. Babcock House
Architectural -- two story frame with hip roof, front dormers, porch, built in ca. 1916-17, Historical -- originally occupied by C. L. Babcock, founder of Babcock Lumber and Land Company. The company built saw and finishing mills, employee housing, a store, clubhouse, and school in the area then called "North Maryville.", Ownership: Private; Current Use: Residence, Address: 856 Poplar St., Alcoa, TN
Springbrook Pool
Historical -- parks and recreational facilities were an important part of the city's plan. The pool was built in 1931., Ownership: City; Current Use: Swimming pool, Address: Vose Rd., Alcoa, TN
Springbrook School Gymnasium
Architectural -- brick gymnasium with arched windows, built in 1921, Historical -- became a recreation center after a new elementary school was built in 1971, Ownership: City; Current Use: Recreation center, Address: Faraday Street

Pages

The Tennessee Historical Commission conducted an architectural survey in 1983 of over 4,600 Blount County buildings that were over 50 years old (dating from 1800 to 1930). These images represent a wide variety of building types, such as stone structures, log houses, wooden-frame churches, and brick schoolhouses. A selection of 94 images, representative of the larger collection, is available now.