Blount County Historical and Architectural Inventory

Pages

Thompson Bridge (over Nine Mile Creek)
Architectural and engineering -- closed spandrel concrete bridge, built ca. 1915; one of relatively few remaining from Blount County's early 20th century road and bridge-building effort, Ownership: County; Current Use: Same, Address: Thompson Bridge Rd. at Lanier Rd., Maryville, TN
Isaac Yearout House (NR)
Architectural -- two story brick with side gables, hipped rear extension, gabled two story front porch with columns; built ca. 1819-24, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Residence, Address: 1305 Big Springs Rd., Maryville, TN
James Henry House (NR)
Architectural -- two story, five bay notable brick residence with side gables, chimneys and rear ell; built between 1833 and 1835, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Residence, Address: 305 Henry Lane, Greenback, TN
Cam Walker Barn
Architectural and agricultural -- double pen log barn built ca. 1890, with frame additions, Ownership: Private; Current Use: Barn, Address: Walker Rd., Maryville, TN
William Dunn Stone Fence
Local cultural history -- built pre-1900 by William Dunn or Mr. Snyder, the stone fence is several hundred yds. in length, 3-4 ft. high, and 2-3 ft. wide, Ownership: Private; Current Use: same, Address: Schoolhouse Gap Rd, Dry Valley, Townsend, TN
Minnis McCampbell Barn (NR)
Architectural and agricultural -- cantilevered double pen log barn with square notches, oak logs, built ca. 1910, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Barn, Address: Old Cades Cove Rd., 0.1 mi. S of Dry Valley Rd., Townsend, TN
Walland Depot
Architectural -- typical hip-roofed depot built ca. 1901, History of transportation -- terminus for both the Knoxville & Augusta RR (later Southern RR) and the Little River RR, Ownership: Private; Current Use: Since 1982, Little River Railroad and Lumber Company Museum, Address: Hwy 321, Walland, later relocated to Hwy 321, Townsend
James V. Martin House (NR)
Architectural -- two story frame with side gables and rear ell, front gabled porch; I-house plan with elaborate Eastlake-influenced decoration; one of the most intact and decorative I-house forms in the rural area of the county, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Residence, Address: 545 Martin Valley Rd., Walland TN
Schlosser Leather Company House
Architectural -- one story "T" shaped frame house w/gable roof; built between 1905-10 by Schlosser Leather Company to house family of a worker, Ownership: Private; Current Use: Residence, Address: East Millers Cove Rd, Walland, TN
A. J. Fisher House (NR)
Industrial -- one of few significant and unaltered resources related to the operation of Schlosser Leather Company; A. J. "Jack" Fisher, works manager, lived in this one story frame house built ca. 1905, Industrial -- one of few significant and unaltered resources related to the operation of Schlosser Leather Company; A. J. "Jack" Fisher, works manager, lived in this one story frame house built ca. 1905, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Residence, Address: Old Walland Hwy, Walland, TN
Chilhowee Inn
Architectural and historical -- two story frame hotel with gable roof built by Schlosser Leather Company for lodging and food service; named by Mrs. Jack Fisher, wife of the plant manager; continued to operate long after the company closed in 1931 and enj, Architectural and historical -- two story frame hotel with gable roof built by Schlosser Leather Company for lodging and food service; named by Mrs. Jack Fisher, wife of the plant manager; continued to operate long after the company closed in 1931 and enj, Ownership: Private; Current Use: Residence, Address: Old Walland Hwy.,Walland, TN
Eusebia Presbyterian Church
Historical -- organized in 1786, Eusebia is believed to be the oldest congregation in the area; present brick church building dates from 1930, Ownership: Private; Current Use: Church, Address: Sevierville Rd.(Hwy 411) at Burnett Sta. Rd. Seymour, TN

Pages

The Tennessee Historical Commission conducted an architectural survey in 1983 of over 4,600 Blount County buildings that were over 50 years old (dating from 1800 to 1930). These images represent a wide variety of building types, such as stone structures, log houses, wooden-frame churches, and brick schoolhouses. A selection of 94 images, representative of the larger collection, is available now.