Blount County Historical and Architectural Inventory

Pages

Victor J. Hultquist House
Architectural -- one and one-half story brick with gable roof and two front dormers, built in 1925, Historical -- Victor J. Hultquist was city manager of Alcoa from its incorporation in 1919 until 1948. Simultaneously, he was the Aluminum Company's Superintendent of Construction., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Residence, Address: 1533 Springbrook Rd. Alcoa, TN
Friends Church (NR)
Architectural -- Colonial Revival style, brick with tile roof., Historical -- Quaker meeting house, 1871-1936; Friends' impact on religion and education in Maryville and Blount County., This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Since 1947, St. Andrew's Episcopal Church, Address: 314 W. Broadway, Maryville, TN
Harper Memorial Library (NR)
Architectural -- Colonial Revival style, brick., Historical -- City of Maryville, later County of Blount Public Library, 1930-1981., This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Red Cross, Address: 300 E. Church St., Maryville, TN
Dr. Leland Ramsey House
Architectural -- one story frame house with gabled roof, rear ell, gabled front porch with decorative wood trim built in 1885., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Residence, Address: 317 W. Broadway Ave., Maryville, TN
Doctors Hospital
Architectural -- two story frame and brick building with hip and gable roof, dating from early 1900s., Historical -- functioned as Doctors Hospital from 1943 to 1949., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Offices, Address: Corner Ellis Ave. & College St., Maryville, TN
Lamar Memorial Library
Architectural -- built of brick in 1888 in form of Greek cross; handsome oak interior woodwork., Historical -- built as a memorial to Prof. Thomas Jefferson Lamar, the college's "second founder"., This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Center for Campus Ministry, Address: 502 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN
Pearsons Hall
Architectural -- designed by George Barber in Colonial Revival style; built in 1910 of brick; features a double high Ionic colonnade; first campus building to include steel supports and to have indoor plumbing, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Student residence hall and campus cafeteria, Address: 502 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN
Willard House
Architectural -- designed by Beaver and Hoffmeister of Knoxville in Queen Anne style; built in 1891 of red brick with red mortar., Historical -- residence of the college presidents, 1891-1951., This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Office and social space, Address: 502 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN
Bartlett Hall
Historical -- built as a campus YMCA building in 1901., This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Restored and renovated in 2001 as a student services building, Address: 502 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN
Alumni Gymnasium
Architectural -- one of few surviving frame gymnasiums; built in 1923 as a project of MC alumni, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Sport Facility, Address: 502 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN
Carnegie Hall
Architectural -- designed by Knoxville architect R. F. Graf in Georgian Colonial style; built in 1916 of tan brick, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Student residence hall, Address: 502 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN
Anderson Hall
Educational -- housed administration for college of liberal arts which pioneered higher education of women and of freedmen. Architectural -- constructed in 1869-70, with a rear addition in 1890; brick, with ornamental brick work at roof line, attractive c, This structure appears on the National Historical Registry., Ownership: Private; Current Use: Classrooms and offices, Address: 502 E. Lamar Alexander Parkway, Maryville, TN

Pages

The Tennessee Historical Commission conducted an architectural survey in 1983 of over 4,600 Blount County buildings that were over 50 years old (dating from 1800 to 1930). These images represent a wide variety of building types, such as stone structures, log houses, wooden-frame churches, and brick schoolhouses. A selection of 94 images, representative of the larger collection, is available now.